2 months later... Still very little love?

DTown SBrown

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So let me preface this by stating I live in Indianapolis, which has its own strong football following.

I have noticed over the last few months, Packers fans have been popping up all over the place, license plates, banners, etc. BUT...

I go into the mall here locally, and in over 5 different national sporting memorabilia chains, I can find 7 different Steelers hats, Broncos, Saints, Buccaneers, etc hats and jerseys ( The finish line had a fricking Danny Woodhead jersey, and the PATs are this areas ARCH rivals).

Packers Hat? A-ROD Jersey? NONE. ZIP. ZILCH. NADA.

I asked one of the stores carrying all the steelers hats (LIDs) why they had 20+ teams and over half a doz SB runner-up hats, vs SB champion hats, and the guy just gave me attitude and said "nobody likes the Packers 'round here".

But they were selling Patriot, Titans, Steelers, Jets, Texans, etc. I would think those would be the teams nobody liked in INDY.

Is anyone else (outside of WI area) seeing this? I know some people here (including me) stated that we got very little national love after the NFC Championship game (all talk about Steelers) and after the SB, it was like we didnt even win at times. Is anyone else seeing a lack of Packers stuff available in their local stores that are focused on sports memorabilia?

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
I don't notice any lack of Packer memorabilia because I live near Green Bay; never a shortage of team support regardless of the season. I wasn't aware of the ill feelings after NFC championship (other than ****** Bears fans). The Packers are a rarity in the NFL, being community owned, followed by fans around the world, loved like family in their own community. We have a rich history unlike any other team. How can anyone NOT love the Packers unless you are f**** jealous???? UGH! (Notice how my post started civil and then turned vicious?)

OP
OP
DTown SBrown

DTown SBrown

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't notice any lack of Packer memorabilia because I live near Green Bay; never a shortage of team support regardless of the season. I wasn't aware of the ill feelings after NFC championship (other than ****** Bears fans). The Packers are a rarity in the NFL, being community owned, followed by fans around the world, loved like family in their own community. We have a rich history unlike any other team. How can anyone NOT love the Packers unless you are f**** jealous???? UGH! (Notice how my post started civil and then turned vicious?)

many pointed out that espn and Fox Sports was all about replaying the steelers jets clips and interviews, while just glazing over the packers win (with almost exclusive coverage of whether or not Cutler was a P*ssy for leaving the game). The team didnt get a trophy ceremony on the field (had to do it in the locker room)

As for being able to find packers stuff in WI, that should be a given. Im talking about random "non" packer affiliated areas, ie, not MN, not CHI, not DET.

I just find it a bit disappointing that we are 13 time world champions and we seemed to get swept under the rug a day after the game was over. Are we just not a "****" enough team to get the coverage like the Steelers, Pats, and colts get?

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
I live near Chicago so the only news we ever get about the Packers is when they lose and there is also a dearth of Packer memorabilia around here, but as you point out, that is to be expected. I am not certain that the media is prejudiced against us as much is it is prejudiced in favor of other markets; which, from a practical standpoint makes sense -- larger markets = larger audiences and larger revenue, but I agree we did not get much "afterglow" following what was a pretty awesome late season, post-season run right up to and including the SB. While throughout the world we may be respected and in places even revered, I fear that as far as mainstream sports media is concerned, we may always be the red-headed step-child.
As a die-hard Packer fan, I am OK with that. We'll let our championships and on-field play speak for us.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
was waiting for the "the media never pays attention to us" post.

Dude, it was all packers for like a month straight nationally. Now its the draft, not a whole lot to talk about with the Packers right now. Alot easier to talk about the Panthers drafting than the Packers. We had several national mag covers and even more of packer players appearing on national tv. Sorry but your going to have to wait til the Preseason for some more serious national coverage of the Packers if you dont think there has been enough.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
It’s difficult for me to get excited about this too. If the stores DTown visited get a lot of people asking about Packers stuff, they’ll get it. Their bottom line is sales. If they “violate” market principles – in this case demand and supply - they won’t be in business much longer. My guess is there simply isn’t enough demand for Packers’ gear to justify keeping it in inventory, even just after winning the Super Bowl.

On a related note, I know a lot of Packers fans care about whether or not the Packers are “America’s team”, if Rodgers will be on the cover of Madden, which Packers should or will make the pro bowl and which ones should or will win various awards. Except for election into the Packers’ and the NFL HOF, I really don’t care about that stuff, either. For me it’s all about the road to, and winning championships. That’s why last season was so special. Whether or not winning it all made the Packers “America’s team”…

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
Heck, the 7-11 in Montgomery, Illinois about 45 miles straight west of Chicago has a whole rack of Packers stuff right inside the door.................

...................just about where all the Bears stuff was located BEFORE the Superbowl.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
its because Green Bay is the smallest market. everyone either bandwagon teams or just chooses their local team. if the Pack gets another SB ring in the next year or two while peyton manning and tom brady are hitting their late thirtys, the tune will start to change

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
Heck, the 7-11 in Montgomery, Illinois about 45 miles straight west of Chicago has a whole rack of Packers stuff right inside the door.................

...................just about where all the Bears stuff was located BEFORE the Superbowl.

That must really hairlip a lot of the Bear fans around there. I only found 1 DVD and 1 Blu-ray of the SB XLV video at our local Best Buy and there really isn't a lot of Packer stuff around here. Fortunately we have family in Wisconsin where it sounds as if there is Packer stuff everywhere.:chisux:

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score

Dude, it was all packers for like a month straight nationally. Now its the draft, not a whole lot to talk about with the Packers right now. Alot easier to talk about the Panthers drafting than the Packers. We had several national mag covers and even more of packer players appearing on national tv. Sorry but your going to have to wait til the Preseason for some more serious national coverage of the Packers if you dont think there has been enough.
Thank you.

Seems like unless ESPN creates and devotes an entire channel to the Packers that people will always complain we're not getting enough attention.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't bother looking in Philly. The Packers aren't really popular around here. They were the beginning and the end of the Eagles. I have noticed people wearing Packers gear pop up but they are few and far between. I see more Steelers fans running around here than anything else. Good luck finding gear in the stores. I tried going to Models in Philly at the beginning of the season, not long after game 1 to buy a Clay Matthews jersey. They didn't have any on the shelves so I asked the clerk where they were at and he just glared at me as if he wanted to burn holes in my head. That Models still doesn't have any Packers gear.

I guess I should pack up my game, split Philly and head to Green Bay!!! Where all the love is at!!! :)

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score

The lack of media coverage doesn't bother me as much as it used to. I'd actually prefer to fly under the radar so nobody will see us coming. Stealth. How many people thought the Packers were going to make the playoffs much less win the SB during midseason, even during the playoffs? It does bother me that I can go into a national chain store, such as Models or Sports Authority and not be able to find my teams gear while they have 10 other teams on prominent display. It lights me up, especially after they won the SB. I'm proud of them and just want them to have equal marketing! There are Packers fans all over the world as well as every city in the U.S.!!! Spread the market!!!

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
with the draft, how do you talk about the packers? The needs are there but not glaring and its hard to speculate on who we will draft with 31 other teams ahead of us. Plus there is the lock out, so its not much news unless someone gets arrested.

Coverage in the Spring/Summer is for teams that didnt meet expectations last year. The start of the season focuses on the SB champ and other teams that did well the season before. The Fall focuses on the hot teams and the surprising teams (good and bad), While the winter focuses on the dominate teams. I like hearing about the Pack in the winter myself and rarely in the the Spring.

BearDroppings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You kidding me? Try living in Baltimore. ZERO Packers merch. Most popular selling merch? Pittsburgh Steelers, New Orleans Saints, Washington Redskins, Dallas Cowboys....

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts