2-4 Packers could be eyeing .500

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
TOPackerFan said:
Bobby Roberts said:
Actually I was very impressed with Colledge. With no preparation he's thrown into a position he hasn't been playing since TC and he's taking on one of the best defenders in the game.

He made some mistakes early, but adjusted and improved. I thought he was going to get torched all day if we didn't keep Franks in to double team Taylor, but we didn't need to do that. Sure we changed up the protection and moved Favre out of the pocket, but for the most part is was Colledge stepping up to the challenge.

It was a combination of rolling the pocket and keeping a back/TE in to help block, but McCarthy never should have left him without any help in the first place.

Why not? Show some faith in the kid. Let him know that expectations for him aren't going away just cuz he isn't the starting LG. Sure it didnt work out, and the coaches changed things up after the first couple of series, but I like the call.

How about because the last time Daryn played any football that mattered at LT was at Boise State where he never faced anyone the calibre of Jason Taylor.

I give MM credit for recognizing that mistake and doing what was necessary to fix it, but it was a mistake that never should have been made.

And what would you have done differently? Clifton was a gametime scratch due to sudden illness. I thought MM was unflappable and moved on without causing a big issue. Once a problem arose on the field, he quickly adjusted and fixed that too

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[quote="trippster]And what would you have done differently? Clifton was a gametime scratch due to sudden illness. I thought MM was unflappable and moved on without causing a big issue. Once a problem arose on the field, he quickly adjusted and fixed that too[/quote]

What I would've done differently is give Colledge some help with a tight end or running back till he had time to get into the flow of the game. It was dangerous to have him blocking Taylor one-on-one right off the bat like that. Luckily, it worked out okay in the end, as McCarthy made the right adjustments and Colledge played better.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I agree that the Packers could be eyeing .500, but I have some problems with this article, which looks like a quickie job by someone who hasn't been following the team very closely.

1. Jennings out two weeks? Why haven't I heard about this? I thought he was okay. Did the Press Gazette and this entire forum somehow miss this story, or did he just make it up?

2. Andre Rison coming off the bench? He started for the Packers in '96, though he was only with the team for a handful of games. And by the way, the receiving corps WAS thin that year. Brooks got injured early that year, so it was just Freeman and they threw in Beebe and later found Rison. They had no depth and had to get by with veterans who were not ideal fits. Beebe was small and Rison was a head case.

3. Scarlett Johannsen looked just fine last time I saw her (on TV). She certainly was not as thin as Mary Kate Olsen. I hope she hasn't developed some kind of eating disorder. I am not up on my celebrity news, I admit.

4. Carrying four tight ends on the roster is what the Packers did last week, with William Henderson not suiting up. Apparently this guy doesn't know that Henderson is no longer a major player for this team. It's sad but true.

5. Why single out Daryn Colledge for being not hot? He was thrown into the left tackle position just before the game, and was forced to try blocking Jason Taylor one-on-one. And, as this writer himself admits, he did better in the second half. Why not name somebody who's REALLY not hot? KGB, anyone? Marquand Manuel? Bubba Franks?

Couldn't agree more on KGB, Manuel, and Franks...I could go a little farther and say Clifton, Collins (ow..that hurt), and maybe even Tausch. I'll give Tauscher a break because I don't think he's playing that bad; we're just used to better from him I think.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
i got a bad feeling about this cardinal game. they need a win so supremely bad its not funny. and we may be gettin cocky all of a sudden. all i know is we need to go in there and play ball or else we could get beat at home by probally the worst team in the nfl.

I don't think we will get cocky after beating a 1-6 team. I don't think Favre, Driver, MM and others will allow it. But I do agree with your premise. This game scares me because we are such a young team and we can lose to anybody on a given day. If the Cards that played the bears (at home) show up we could be in trouble....at least for 3 and a half quarters. If the cards that played oakland (on the road) show up we will breeze. Here's hoping that home and away stuff makes a difference this week.

yeah cocky was a bad choice of words. my general point is that, we could possibly overlook them. they looked horrible against the raiders and it would be easy for us a mediocre team to say... if the raiders can beat em, we sure as hell can. However like you said they dang near beat the best team in football two weeks ago. granted it was at home on monday night and probally one of the more anticipated games in arizona in quite some time. but they still had to play the game.

Im confident we will win the game... i just think they have all these little things to get pumped about, and its just another football game for us. Anyone going to this game needs to have that place ROWDY.

Members online

Latest posts