2-4 Packers could be eyeing .500

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By Andy Benoit, NFL Contributing Editor

(Sports Network) - For the first time in Brett Favre's career, the Green Bay Packers beat the Miami Dolphins in Florida. The win came after an inspired 28-point second half effort, highlighted by big touchdowns from longtime Packer cogs Donald Driver and Ahman Green.

"We won the game. I think that says a lot about what type of team we can be. We hung in there and found a way to win," said Favre, who was 19-of-35 passing for 206 yards, two touchdowns, and, as indicated by the win, zero interceptions. "(However) both teams were struggling coming into this game; I'd still say both teams are struggling coming out of it. I'm pleased, but we still have a long ways to go."

The Packers do have a long ways to go, though their favorable schedule over the next two weeks can help take them there faster. Green Bay has games against the 1-6 Cardinals (who, by the way, will take the damn field once they realize that the Packers are who they thought they were) and the 2-5 Bills. It is a great opportunity for Mike McCarthy's young team to grow and gain confidence, should the Packers find themselves at .500 heading into mid- November.

"We've been talking about this football team having an opportunity to be a good football team," said McCarthy. "We've had a number of areas we've improved on throughout the season. Improvement doesn't always equate to winning...(but) they're seeing their preparation finally paying off."

RECEIVING CORPS THIN

There's Lindsay Lohan, Scarlett Johannson, and Mary Kate Olson. And then, there's the Green Bay Packers wide receiver position.

Last week, veteran Koren Robinson was suspended by the NFL for one year, after squandering yet another second chance by violating the league's substance abuse policy.

Veteran Robert Ferguson was recently put on IR because of damage to the Lisfranc joint in the middle of his foot (an injury suffered back in week 4 at Philadelphia).

And, against the Dolphins on Sunday, rookie wideout Greg Jennings went down with a sprained ankle. X-rays were negative, but Jennings was on crutches for the rest of the afternoon and will likely be out of action for at least the next couple of weeks.

So, where do the Packers go from here? It is not reasonable to carry four tight ends on the roster (which Green Bay did against Miami), especially when considering that the odd man out could be fullback William Henderson. Donald Driver is still a dangerous weapon, but he is just one man (who, by the way, in sticking with our "thin" theme, is fairly skinny himself).

Enter first-year receiver Ruvell Martin, an undrafted player from Saginaw Valley State who spent time on Green Bay's practice squad a year ago and before that, represented the San Diego Chargers in NFL Europe. Assuming Jennings doesn't play, it will be Martin starting against Arizona in Week 8.

Behind Martin at the No. 3 receiver slot is likely to be undrafted rookie Chris Francies. At the fourth receiver position could be another undrafted rookie, Shaun Bodiford, who was claimed off waivers from Detroit on Monday. However, the Packers rarely use a four-receiver set.

Both Martin and Francies saw action against the Dolphins, with Martin catching two passes for 25 yards, and Francies registering one reception on a third- and-one that went for 12 yards.

"That's where we are right now," McCarthy said. "Chris Francies had a big-play opportunity and cashed in on it. Ruvell did an excellent job. Those guys have been with us since Day 1. They've earned their spots on this team, and they will be counted on to play a role."

Remember the halcyon days of Robert Brooks and Antonio Freeman. Back then, guys coming off the bench for the Packers were veterans like Andre Rison and Don Beebe. The Packers had a receiving corps that looked like it belonged in a Super Bowl. Now, with all due respect, they have a receiving corps that looks like it belongs in the final week of a preseason game.

In the words of Vince Lombardi, "What the hell's going on out here?" Given the number of untested receivers, those may be the words echoed by Brett Favre and asked of Brett Favre on the field Sunday.

WHO'S HOT

Cornerback Charles Woodson has been a disappointment thus far, evidenced by Green Bay's bottom-ranking pass defense. However, against Miami, the well- paid former Heisman winner filled the box score with an interception that was returned 23 yards for a touchdown, a sack, and six tackles.

WHO'S NOT

Rookie offensive lineman Daryn Colledge was forced to start at left tackle on Sunday after Chad Clifton suddenly fell ill the day before. Colledge has been working at guard all season, though he was a four-year starter at the tackle position at Boise State. However, no rookie can be expected to perform well when making a position change on Saturday and facing Miami's Jason Taylor on Sunday. Taylor registered a pair of sacks and made the Packers pay for the mismatch throughout the first half. In fairness to Colledge, the second-round pick played noticeably better in the second half.

NEXT UP

It is the Packers' turn to take a game from Dennis Green's Cardinals, as Arizona brings its 1-6 record into Green Bay.

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was just thinking the same thing when I saw the post, the Cards and then the Bungalow Bilge.
4-4 would look pretty sweet, and who'd a thunk?

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we lose to the Cardinals at Lambeau I'm going to puke, go into severe depression and maybe buy a new rope.

Why buy a new one? Just use the old one.

If we are 4-4 in a couple weeks it will be by beating 3 1-win teams and 1 2-win team, but who cares ......my 12-4 prediction will still be alive :chest:

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that the Packers could be eyeing .500, but I have some problems with this article, which looks like a quickie job by someone who hasn't been following the team very closely.

1. Jennings out two weeks? Why haven't I heard about this? I thought he was okay. Did the Press Gazette and this entire forum somehow miss this story, or did he just make it up?

2. Andre Rison coming off the bench? He started for the Packers in '96, though he was only with the team for a handful of games. And by the way, the receiving corps WAS thin that year. Brooks got injured early that year, so it was just Freeman and they threw in Beebe and later found Rison. They had no depth and had to get by with veterans who were not ideal fits. Beebe was small and Rison was a head case.

3. Scarlett Johannsen looked just fine last time I saw her (on TV). She certainly was not as thin as Mary Kate Olsen. I hope she hasn't developed some kind of eating disorder. I am not up on my celebrity news, I admit.

4. Carrying four tight ends on the roster is what the Packers did last week, with William Henderson not suiting up. Apparently this guy doesn't know that Henderson is no longer a major player for this team. It's sad but true.

5. Why single out Daryn Colledge for being not hot? He was thrown into the left tackle position just before the game, and was forced to try blocking Jason Taylor one-on-one. And, as this writer himself admits, he did better in the second half. Why not name somebody who's REALLY not hot? KGB, anyone? Marquand Manuel? Bubba Franks?

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually I was very impressed with Colledge. With no preparation he's thrown into a position he hasn't been playing since TC and he's taking on one of the best defenders in the game.

He made some mistakes early, but adjusted and improved. I thought he was going to get torched all day if we didn't keep Franks in to double team Taylor, but we didn't need to do that. Sure we changed up the protection and moved Favre out of the pocket, but for the most part is was Colledge stepping up to the challenge.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i got a bad feeling about this cardinal game. they need a win so supremely bad its not funny. and we may be gettin cocky all of a sudden. all i know is we need to go in there and play ball or else we could get beat at home by probally the worst team in the nfl.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i got a bad feeling about this cardinal game. they need a win so supremely bad its not funny. and we may be gettin cocky all of a sudden. all i know is we need to go in there and play ball or else we could get beat at home by probally the worst team in the nfl.

The Cards are very poor on the road and nobody needs a home win more than MM and the Pack so I doubt over confidence is a factor. I could see Arizona sneaking in somewhere and catching a team snoozing that should beat them hands down but that's not the case here.

The Pack needs a win at Lambeau to much for that to happen.

Arizona is last in rushing offense. We need to make sure that continues and then go after Leinart. I see more turnovers coming our way Sunday.

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember the halcyon days of Robert Brooks and Antonio Freeman. Back then, guys coming off the bench for the Packers were veterans like Andre Rison and Don Beebe. The Packers had a receiving corps that looked like it belonged in a Super Bowl. Now, with all due respect, they have a receiving corps that looks like it belongs in the final week of a preseason game.

Dang... that about sums it up.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't think we will get cocky after beating a 1-6 team. I don't think Favre, Driver, MM and others will allow it. But I do agree with your premise. This game scares me because we are such a young team and we can lose to anybody on a given day. If the Cards that played the bears (at home) show up we could be in trouble....at least for 3 and a half quarters. If the cards that played oakland (on the road) show up we will breeze. Here's hoping that home and away stuff makes a difference this week.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
Actually I was very impressed with Colledge. With no preparation he's thrown into a position he hasn't been playing since TC and he's taking on one of the best defenders in the game.

He made some mistakes early, but adjusted and improved. I thought he was going to get torched all day if we didn't keep Franks in to double team Taylor, but we didn't need to do that. Sure we changed up the protection and moved Favre out of the pocket, but for the most part is was Colledge stepping up to the challenge.

It was a combination of rolling the pocket and keeping a back/TE in to help block, but McCarthy never should have left him without any help in the first place.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:

It was a combination of rolling the pocket and keeping a back/TE in to help block, but McCarthy never should have left him without any help in the first place.

Why not? Show some faith in the kid. Let him know that expectations for him aren't going away just cuz he isn't the starting LG. Sure it didnt work out, and the coaches changed things up after the first couple of series, but I like the call.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
goodness - i recall making some sort of deal with someone that if the pack wins 9 then i take off the G's!!! hmmm...not quite worried yet. ;)

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
goodness - i recall making some sort of deal with someone that if the pack wins 9 then i take off the G's!!! hmmm...not quite worried yet. ;)

Well, I just informed the Packers about that bet, and now they are fired up to win out the rest of the season!

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
Bobby Roberts said:

Why not? Show some faith in the kid. Let him know that expectations for him aren't going away just cuz he isn't the starting LG. Sure it didnt work out, and the coaches changed things up after the first couple of series, but I like the call.

Because you could have gotten your franchise QB killed out there trying to send a message.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4packgirl said:

Well, I just informed the Packers about that bet, and now they are fired up to win out the rest of the season!

Nice going, now all the Packer players and coaches will be coming on this forum to see the G's come off.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
Bobby Roberts said:

How about because the last time Daryn played any football that mattered at LT was at Boise State where he never faced anyone the calibre of Jason Taylor.

I give MM credit for recognizing that mistake and doing what was necessary to fix it, but it was a mistake that never should have been made.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah let's all blame Woodson for the pass defense. Dumb statement, IMO.

Members online

Latest posts