1918 Green Bay football team photo

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anyone know the name of this team? Note the name "Packers" has been substituted for the original. As most know, the Indian Packing Co. put up money for a team in 1919, known as the "Indians" but referred to as the Packers by the end of the season. Of these 11 players, 6 are listed by the Packers as having played for the '21 team--Abrams, Martell, Schmael, Rosenow, and the 2 Zoll brothers. Of these 6, only Rosenow was listed as having a college affiliation. Town team football existed in Green Bay since the mid 1890's, but I can't find much about that era. Any help out there?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
JBlood

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
APF---thanks for the sites. They're great! The Green Bay Whales. I'll have to have a sweatshirt made. I wonder what the team colors were?? Also, maybe some of these guys went to college after 1918. I'm pretty sure Lynn Howard was an illegal player from Indiana U. when he played in 1921 and '22, so he likely was one of those that caused the Packers to be kicked out of the league at the end of '21. Somebody should write a book about all of this, if it hasn't already been done.

wd17gbp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1918 team photo

I'm attempting to research a 1918 team photo my self. Your photo is no longer displayed and I'm wondering if you could point me in the direction of help. My main focus is researching Edward Du Fresne out of the photo, but the family is also interested in a few more details regarding the photo. Thanks for your time and help.

AzPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm attempting to research a 1918 team photo my self. Your photo is no longer displayed and I'm wondering if you could point me in the direction of help. My main focus is researching Edward Du Fresne out of the photo, but the family is also interested in a few more details regarding the photo. Thanks for your time and help.
You might want to read this article. According to it's author the 1918 team is referred to as the Green Bay Whales. You have to read through to the bottom of the page to find this out. http://ericapp.weebly.com/js-curley-lambeau-article.html

rivalriesoh

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wow, i thought the Packers first year was 1921? i'm a fan of the green bay whales for sure ;)

OP
OP
JBlood

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
jblood...why would Lynn Howard be illegal?

Wow, I forgot all about this thread. Lynn Howard lived in Prescott, Wi. where I grew up. He played for the Packers while he was still on the Indiana University's team to pick up some extra cash. Johnny Blood did the same thing, as did lots of college players--it was all illegal, and they would have been ineligible for their college teams if they had been discovered.

Here's the picture of the 1918 Packers from the Neville Public Museum of Brown County:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wow, i thought the Packers first year was 1921? i'm a fan of the green bay whales for sure ;)

nope, the Green Bay Packers, started in 1919 as the Acme Packers as noted in the OP.

They Joined the NFL (American Professional Football Association) in 1921, which had started league play in 1920.

Members online

Latest posts