15 years ago today...

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of my fav. teams of all time. Talk about GREAT off season signings (Howard and Rison) Howard was electric returning punts/kicks and Rison was amazing at streching the field for Favre.

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was a fun night. I drank a lot of beer and found a cooked ham on my windshield.

(BTW. I was walking by my car not getting in it.)

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
One of my fav. teams of all time. Talk about GREAT off season signings (Howard and Rison) Howard was electric returning punts/kicks and Rison was amazing at streching the field for Favre.

Wasnt Rison singed mid season? and maybe only one TD all season?

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wasnt Rison singed mid season? and maybe only one TD all season?

You are correct, sorry I lumped his signging together with D. Howard. (I'm working and was on the phone with a client when I typed the response. LOL!) My reason for saying that Andre was a great signing was that defenses had to respect his speed which opened things up for Brooks, Chmura, and Freeman. His stats wern't eye-popping but he brought a dimension that our receiving core lacked, IMHO.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
You are correct, sorry I lumped his signging together with D. Howard. (I'm working and was on the phone with a client when I typed the response. LOL!) My reason for saying that Andre was a great signing was that defenses had to respect his speed which opened things up for Brooks, Chmura, and Freeman. His stats wern't eye-popping but he brought a dimension that our receiving core lacked, IMHO.

Yuppers I agree!!!

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Really, in my opinion, the last truly dominating Super Bowl winner. That '96 team lead the league in scoring AND gave up the least. Tell ya, it was a magical time in Northeastern Wisconsin...you could feel the electricity permeating the entire region. Businesses may as well have just shut down because there was a definitive lack of focus for two weeks leading up to the SB and two weeks after.

OP
OP
Crazy Packers Fan

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Upon watching the game, it amazes me at how poor the '96 team did at converting 3rd downs in that game. That was a huge strength of the 2010 team. I forgot that the Packers had a chance to cover the spread with a late field goal that Jacke missed (in his last kick as a Packer).

I still remember John Madden scribbling Brett Favre's name on the teleprompter as his choice for MVP. It seemed so weird watching that game without worrying about whether there would be a review after every big play - back in the days of no replay. Strange how everyone just accepted the calls on the field as they were - then again, the officiating in that game was outstanding - not a single bad call made the whole game. Madden was basically pleading Mike Holmgren to put Jim McMahon in the game to run out the clock... in fact, for years I had the misconception that McMahon did take the final knees of the game, but he never entered.

As good as that team was, it amazes me that only Reggie White (and eventually Favre) made the Hall of Fame from that team.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Yes, that was an amazing team and amazing season. It was the inevitable culmination of progress each and every year since the arrival of Wolf and Holmgren.

Slight correction on some memories about that season (although my memory isn’t great either). As I remember it, Wolf considered signing Rison before that season and he signed somewhere else. Brooks got injured about mid-way through that season and went on IR. Sometime after that, Rison was cut by the team that signed him and Wolf picked him up for pennies on the dollar compared to what he would have paid Rison had he signed him in the off season. It surprised me after that season they didn’t re-sign Rison; perhaps it was a concern about him in the locker room. But that first pass to him in the Super Bowl – an audible I believe – had to boost the confidence of the young QB and team.

D

Dan115

Upon watching the game, it amazes me at how poor the '96 team did at converting 3rd downs in that game. That was a huge strength of the 2010 team. I forgot that the Packers had a chance to cover the spread with a late field goal that Jacke missed (in his last kick as a Packer).

I still remember John Madden scribbling Brett Favre's name on the teleprompter as his choice for MVP. It seemed so weird watching that game without worrying about whether there would be a review after every big play - back in the days of no replay. Strange how everyone just accepted the calls on the field as they were - then again, the officiating in that game was outstanding - not a single bad call made the whole game. Madden was basically pleading Mike Holmgren to put Jim McMahon in the game to run out the clock... in fact, for years I had the misconception that McMahon did take the final knees of the game, but he never entered.

As good as that team was, it amazes me that only Reggie White (and eventually Favre) made the Hall of Fame from that team.

I think Butler had a chance for the Hall but an injury ended his career a little short.

Members online

Latest posts