100 greatest players of all time

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the top ten is so tough to rank, I can think of 25 guys that you could argue for in the top 10. Walter Payton, LT, Jim Brown, Hutson, Baugh, Reggie, Sayers, Ray Lewis, Johnny Unitas, Forrest Gregg, Deion Sanders, Elway, Starr, Deacon Jones, Butkus, Rice, Montana, Barry Sanders, Otto Graham, Favre, Lott, Emmitt Smith, Tom Brady, Jack Lambert, and Manning.

I would never put Favre in the top 50 but I can understand someone who makes the argument based on his numbers and longevity.

Do they out Emmitt ahead of Sanders based on the whole career? Its going to be interesting

Those are some pretty good football players you put up there IVO610. The only one I personally would disagree with is Sayers. Was he good? He was pretty damn good and although his yards per carry were outstanding until he tore his knee up, he only eclipsed 1200 yards once and the 1000 mark twice. He was a hero to the Chicago Bears and the fans and I personally beleive that "Brians Song" gave him a bit more attention and ultimately put him up there with some of the other greats.

As far as the Emmitt question goes. Most people would put him above Sanders just for the fact he had more career yards.

It will be interesting though to see who the top ten are!

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those are some pretty good football players you put up there IVO610. The only one I personally would disagree with is Sayers. Was he good? He was pretty damn good and although his yards per carry were outstanding until he tore his knee up, he only eclipsed 1200 yards once and the 1000 mark twice. He was a hero to the Chicago Bears and the fans and I personally beleive that "Brians Song" gave him a bit more attention and ultimately put him up there with some of the other greats.

As far as the Emmitt question goes. Most people would put him above Sanders just for the fact he had more career yards.

It will be interesting though to see who the top ten are!

There are some great historians of the game that have said he was the best they ever saw. You could argue he was the best kick returner ever, as the numbers fall in his favor. Ditka would say top 10, and I am not the type of person who argues with ditka LOL

PackisBack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's really hard to put together a top 10 list, let alone pick number 1. It's not really about finding someone everyone agrees on for the 1 spot, but rather someone no one will disagree on. That being the case, my vote goes to Montana. No one, ever, will be as clutch as he was in the final minutes of the biggest games you can imagine. He may not have been the most talented player, maybe not even the most talented QB, but when he needed to get it done, he got it done.

Just my 2 cents anyway.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's really hard to put together a top 10 list, let alone pick number 1. It's not really about finding someone everyone agrees on for the 1 spot, but rather someone no one will disagree on. That being the case, my vote goes to Montana. No one, ever, will be as clutch as he was in the final minutes of the biggest games you can imagine. He may not have been the most talented player, maybe not even the most talented QB, but when he needed to get it done, he got it done.

Just my 2 cents anyway.

Bart Starr disagrees with you

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are some great historians of the game that have said he was the best they ever saw. You could argue he was the best kick returner ever, as the numbers fall in his favor. Ditka would say top 10, and I am not the type of person who argues with ditka LOL

Me either.....unless I am far away.......or on the phone. But then again, I don't think I would trade my entire draft for a pot smoker. Unless I just needed a good connection. lol :happy0005:

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Me either.....unless I am far away.......or on the phone. But then again, I don't think I would trade my entire draft for a pot smoker. Unless I just needed a good connection. lol :happy0005:

or be on the cover of a magazine at the alter standing next to a dude in a dress.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
60. Jack Ham
59. Mike Ditka
58. Steve Van Buren
57. Mike Singletary
56. Gene Upshaw
55. Earl Campbell
54. Forrest Gregg
53. Willie Lanier
52. Eric ****erson
51. Bart Starr

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eric ****erson is ranked too high imo
Starr is a little higher than I thought they would put him, but lower than what he should be
Ditka at 59 seems a little high
Nice to see Earl Campbell this high on the list, my favorite offensive player of all time.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice to see Earl Campbell this high on the list, my favorite offensive player of all time.

Mine is Barry Sanders but Earl Campbell was a machine for sure! He also makes some damn good sausages. Don't know if you can buy them in Wisconsin but they rock down here in Texas! lol:happy0005:Hey IVO610.......ya ever had one?

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mine is Barry Sanders but Earl Campbell was a machine for sure! He also makes some damn good sausages. Don't know if you can buy them in Wisconsin but they rock down here in Texas! lol:happy0005:Hey IVO610.......ya ever had one?

No, but I think you can order them through his website. I need to do that. Otherwise I will just pick some up next time im in texas. I need to get down there for some games.

TampaPacMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Starr is too low at number 51, I thought Greeg was about right. I'm still waiting to see where they rank Hutson. In my opinion he should be in the top twenty.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Starr is too low at number 51, I thought Greeg was about right. I'm still waiting to see where they rank Hutson. In my opinion he should be in the top twenty.

Dont be surprised if he is in the top 10. Peter King has him @ 1

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who does everyone think will be the highest packer? Hutson? White?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bart Starr is at FIFTY ONE?

This list is completely bogus. Completely bogus. Ridiculous. Screw you, NFL Films and NFL Network.

I bet they vote Payton freaking Manning as the #1. I bet they put T.O. ahead of Don Hutson.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bart Starr is at FIFTY ONE?

This list is completely bogus. Completely bogus. Ridiculous. Screw you, NFL Films and NFL Network.

I bet they vote Payton freaking Manning as the #1. I bet they put T.O. ahead of Don Hutson.

I think Peyton and Brady will be in the next 10. Brady might be a little higher. Favre gets into the 30s I bet, maybe with Elway. I wonder if TO will make it, I doubt it.

Where would you expect a national group to put Starr? Peter King had him 44 I believe. I think as frusterating as it is that he is that low, you wont see him drop 20 years from now reguardless of what other players do. Where as someone like Derrick Brooks will be forgotten.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Peyton and Brady will be in the next 10. Brady might be a little higher. Favre gets into the 30s I bet, maybe with Elway. I wonder if TO will make it, I doubt it.

Where would you expect a national group to put Starr? Peter King had him 44 I believe. I think as frusterating as it is that he is that low, you wont see him drop 20 years from now reguardless of what other players do. Where as someone like Derrick Brooks will be forgotten.
I expect Starr to be in the top 10, of course. Body of work, performance, individual titles, team titles. He has it all, and more than everybody.

I can understand if they think that QB "a" of "b" is better, but to put him at the middle of the list is an abomination.

Those who made the list should not be allowed to talk about football...

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect Starr to be in the top 10, of course. Body of work, performance, individual titles, team titles. He has it all, and more than everybody.

I can understand if they think that QB "a" of "b" is better, but to put him at the middle of the list is an abomination.

Those who made the list should not be allowed to talk about football...

Just curious, would you rank Starr higher than : Jim Brown, Otto Graham, Don Hutson, Jerry Rice, Montana, Sammy Baugh, Reggie White, Walter Payton, Lawrence Taylor, Johnny Unitas, Deacon Jones, and Barry Sanders?

not arguing in any way, just curious who you have higher than others

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just curious, would you rank Starr higher than : Jim Brown, Otto Graham, Don Hutson, Jerry Rice, Montana, Sammy Baugh, Reggie White, Walter Payton, Lawrence Taylor, Johnny Unitas, Deacon Jones, and Barry Sanders?

not arguing in any way, just curious who you have higher than others
Bart Starr, to me, is the greatest football player ever.

I rank QBs as the most important football players, and to me Starr was the best QB. Best postseason ratings of all time, 5 championships, 2 times SB MVP...

And yes, I grade postseason as AT LEAST 2x more important than Regular Season.

Starr is not my favorite football player, those are Hornung and Reggie White, BTW.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bart Starr, to me, is the greatest football player ever.

I rank QBs as the most important football players, and to me Starr was the best QB. Best postseason ratings of all time, 5 championships, 2 times SB MVP...

And yes, I grade postseason as AT LEAST 2x more important than Regular Season.

Starr is not my favorite football player, those are Hornung and Reggie White, BTW.

care to give your top 10?

Ill go first

1. Hutson
2. Jim Brown
3. Otto Graham
4. Jerry Rice
5. Joe Montana
6. Bart Starr
7. Lawrence Taylor
8. Sammy Baugh
9. Reggie White
10. Ray Lewis

Deion Sanders might be 11th if I was to add another.

My list could change tomorrow really. I guess theses are just my top 10. Pretty set on my top 2 and thats about it.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
care to give your top 10?

Ill go first

1. Hutson
2. Jim Brown
3. Otto Graham
4. Jerry Rice
5. Joe Montana
6. Bart Starr
7. Lawrence Taylor
8. Sammy Baugh
9. Reggie White
10. Ray Lewis

Deion Sanders might be 11th if I was to add another.

My list could change tomorrow really. I guess theses are just my top 10. Pretty set on my top 2 and thats about it.
I hate doing it. I can't put together players from different positions. Instead I'll just rank the top in each.

QB: Starr
FB: Taylor (sorry Csonka)
RB: Barry Sanders
WR: Don Hutson (sorry Rice)
TE: Winslow (the good one)
OT: Muñoz (sorry Gregg)
OG: meh. Maybe Larry Little, or Gene Upshaw, or Kramer.
C: also meh. Ringo gets my Packers biased vote.

DE: Reggie White
DT: Reggie White. No, really. Okay, Sapp a close 2nd.
OLB: LT
ILB: Lewis (modern era bias. Should be Nitschke)
CB: **** Night Train Lane (Deion would be the best, if he could tackle)
S: Ronnie Lott. But give Polamalu a couple more years.

ST doesn't get any votes. It's a worthless part of the game, and I hate it.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
50. Terry Bradshaw
49. Mike Hayes
48. Red Grange
47. Ray Nitschke
46. Roger Staubach
45. Tony Gonzalez