1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

10 Most Memorable Plays In Packer History (post-Lombardi era)?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by gwh11, May 30, 2012.

1. gwh11

gwh11 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +88 / 3 / -0
    What would be the top ten most memorable plays of the post-Lombardi era? Here are ten ideas in chronological order:
    1980 Chester Marcol catches own blocked kick, running it in for a TD in OT to beat the Bears
    1989 Majkowski to Sharpe to beat the Bears in the "Instant Replay" game
    1992 Favre's last-minute TD pass to Kitrick Taylor to beat the Bengals for Holmgren's 1st win
    1993 White laterals to Butler on a fumble recovery TD resulting in the 1st Lambeau Leap
    1993 Favre's last minute TD pass to Sharpe to beat the Lions in the Wild Card playoff
    1996 Desmond Howard's TD return in Super Bowl XXXI
    2000 Antonio Freeman's "Immaculate Deflection" TD catch to beat the Vikings in OT
    2004 Al Harris' interception return for a TD in OT to beat the Seahawks in the Wild Card playoff
    2011 B.J. Raji's interception return for a TD in the NFC Championship vs. the Bears
    2011 Nick Collins' interception return for a TD in Super Bowl XLV

What is missing here? What doesn't belong?
  2. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,608 / 59 / -33
    Packer Fan Since:
    They all fit, great list.

The other plays I can think of, that stand out are:
    2010 season, 4th & goal at Atlanta... Rodgers still had never had a clutch win/moment really, and he hits Jordy with a perfect last second pass to tie it with half-minute to go. We still lost the game, but he came up huge and we all knew he had the clutch gene right there.

That was a loss, and not that important of a game. But that moment showed his ballz of steel.

2007 opening game, rookie Mason Crosby hits last-play, 52-yard FG to beat Eagles, and get us on the road to a great season, 13-3.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,532 / 86 / -26
    Favre to Jennings in OT in Denver is one that stands out but not sure if it would make my top 10

Maybe the illegal hit on Jim McMahon?

Good topic
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. gwh11

gwh11 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +88 / 3 / -0
    You've gotta give us your top ten, then.
  5. Powarun

Powarun Big Bay Blues fan

Ratings:
    +382 / 2 / -0
    Packers vs 49ers Dec. 5th 2010, Rodgers throws a huge pass, and driver avoids 6 tackles for a td.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. gwh11

gwh11 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +88 / 3 / -0
    Yes...that one was in the back of my mind. I'll have to watch that one again. Driver's effort on that play was remarkable.
  7. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +1,901 / 49 / -33
    There were a few memorable plays in Super Bowl XLV and other than Butler's Collins' brilliant INT return for a TD two others come to mind.

1. As we all should remember, the Packers went into halftime with a "comfortable" 21-10 lead. But the third quarter was a disaster. The Packers had four possessions, gained just one first down and punted four times. The Steelers only scored one TD and fortunately missed a 52 FG attempt. So it's 21-17 as the Packers punt for the fourth time in the quarter from their 8-yard line and the Steelers take over at the Packers' 41. Mendenhall runs for 8 yards to the Packers 33 and the third quarter ends. The Steelers have all the momentum and what was a comfortable lead now has most Packers fans on the edge of their seats.

During the quarter change Kevin Greene tells Clay Matthews, "Everybody looks up to Wood (who of course is out of the game) as being the leader. He's gone. Nobody's rallying the troops. It is time. IT IS TIME.'' Before the ball was snapped, Matthews yells "Spill it Pickett. Spill it, spill it!" Pickett goes inside and Clay goes outside and they meet at Mendenhall causing the fumble Bishop picked up. "I read that!'' Matthews yells coming off the field. "I knew it was coming!'' The Packers take over at their 45 and score in 8 plays. 28-17. Whew!

2. That relief didn't last long as on their next possession, the Steelers not only answer the TD in 8 plays but add a two-point conversion: 28-25. The Packers take over with about 7 and-a-half minutes left at their 25 yard line. Rodgers get sacked to the 21, completes a pass to Nelson for 9 yards, and then Colledge false starts and its third and ten at their own 25 with 6 minutes left. Again the Steelers had the momentum. I don't like the Packers' title chances if they would have had to punt the ball back to the Steelers at that point. Rodgers tells the huddle, "We're going to be champions tonight" and calls the play. He proceeds to zip the ball about 30-yards in the air. CB Ike Taylor gets a fingertip on it but it lands in Jennings chest for a 31-yard completion, first down at the Steelers 44-yard line. The Packers drive for a FG and the Steelers start their last possession at their 13-yard line with just under 2 minutes left.

Years from now when you watch Rodgers career highlight DVD you'll see that play. That's a QB showing his leadership skills in the huddle and that throw was as big time and pressure packed on the largest stage as you'll see.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. VolvoD

VolvoD Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +619 / 14 / -10
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. AmishMafia

AmishMafia There's cheese under that hat

Ratings:
    +1,521 / 52 / -4
    2 to possibly add. They are memorable, but not in the good sense:

Favres INT to loose to the Giants in the Playoffs
    4th and 26

Great memory:

Favre running with his helmet off in SB big smile on his face. In between plays, but memorable none the less.

Best memory is probably the Howards return TD in the SB. Tough to come up with a top ten.
  10. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,377 / 86 / -17
    Packer Fan Since:
    I can't remember a particular play but I will submit the 1983 Packers vs Redskins monday night game that ended 48-47. One of the most fun Packer games I ever watched.
  11. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,608 / 59 / -33
    Packer Fan Since:
    Wrong #36, a decade off.

Good call on those 2 other key plays from XLV.... Rodgers had a few passes that even if just one inch to the left or right, would have been incomplete instead of huge plays.
    Seemed like destiny was on our side that playoff run starting with David Akers bad game.
  12. slaughter25

slaughter25 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +211 / 7 / -2
    I was there and I unfortunately ended up in the lap of the older lady sitting next to me in post Td celebration. One moment I will never ever ever forget in my life. I have to say that would be the only addition to the original list I would make.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Bensalama21

Bensalama21 Ben

Ratings:
    +585 / 13 / -0
    That play gives me goose bumps every time I watch it.
  14. gwh11

gwh11 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +88 / 3 / -0
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. AmishMafia

AmishMafia There's cheese under that hat

Ratings:
    +1,521 / 52 / -4
    Thanks GWH! I have been looking for that play for a long time. I remembered it as Robert Smith being the human bowling ball. Maybe why it never came up on google. My favorite play by my favorite player.
  16. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,532 / 86 / -26
  17. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,544 / 76 / -14
    Packer Fan Since:
    Bretts TD vs Atlanta at old County Stadium

Yancy Thigpens TD drop to give the Pack divisional title
  18. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,608 / 59 / -33
    Packer Fan Since:
    AGREED!
    Thanks.... I remember that play.
    REGGIE also tossed KOREY STRINGER, RT, over 320 pounds, like a rag doll once at least...... RIP both of them. Gone too soon.
  19. gwh11

gwh11 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +88 / 3 / -0
    Number one reminds me of San Francisco's first play in the 1995 NFC Divisional Playoff, when Wayne Simmons forced an Adam Walker fumble that Craig Newsome returned for a TD. That play set the tone for a historically important road playoff win.
  20. gwh11

gwh11 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +88 / 3 / -0
    It wasn't the Icebowl sneak, but the Favre scamper is still a fun replay watch.
  21. gwh11

gwh11 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +88 / 3 / -0
    Does anyone recall exact what game it was that White absolutely manhandled Stringer?
  22. Powarun

Powarun Big Bay Blues fan

Ratings:
    +382 / 2 / -0
    I was also there and was sitting on the opposite side of the play and was amazed that Driver didn't lateral it or pass it off. It was also a chilly day, but yeah that play is a great definition of wanting the touchdown.
  23. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,051 / 47 / -2
    Packer Fan Since:
    MAN!!!! You beat me to it. THAT hit was monsterous and set the tone for the Packers' in that game.

There's also the 1993 game where Reggie sacked John Elway on back-to-back sacks to preserve the narrow win:
  24. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,051 / 47 / -2
    Packer Fan Since:
    I wish it were a memorable "play" but it was a memorable game in that the Packers held the great Barry Sanders to negative rushing yards. It was New Year's Eve 1994 and we won 16-12:

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Darth Garfunkel

Darth Garfunkel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +418 / 4 / -0
    I can't argue with your list but one that sticks out for me was the Favre to Rison td pass in the Super Bowl.