10-27-13 Viking game studs vs duds

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Williams is rapidly becoming the new Finley. Nothing positive that he does is mentioned while all the focus goes to the negative. He had the costly PI penatly but he also had no help over the top (where's the outrage over the safety ******** up?). Other than that he allowed one completion in four balls thrown his way (better numbers than any other CB). For those upset that he didn't tackle AD, that means basically every defender in the NFL sucks. Now, I'm not saying that Williams has been great all season (or even earned his contract) but this was not one of his bad games.

One difference is that you see guys, like House, not getting as much time on the field but are obviously outplaying him. I wouldn't be complaining myself if it was like Finley where even though he was making mistakes it was not like the Packers had any better option. Here they do, House, Shields and Hayward (I'm assuming here but I think it's a pretty safe assumption) are all outplaying him this season. We don't need 4 CB getting a lot of time, most of the time it is 3 in our base and while Williams isn't as bad as we are making him out to be I don't think there are any doubt he's the worst of the 3 and should be sitting now that Hayward is back.

The packers also have Hyde but I want to see him be gradually be moved to Safety as the season progresses, and hopefully full time next season. Now that there are 4 CB in front of him I see no reason (baring injuries) why he should not be learning the FS position as the year goes on. I know Hypon has made some points that "he is not fast enough for free safety" and while he is not Collins fast I think we all saw yesterday he has enough speed that it will not be a liability at the position. His skill set just screams safety to me. Maybe it's too late for him to make an effective transition but I just don't see how he will be utilized being our 5th CB.

Sorry I got a little off topic there, maybe the second part belongs in the secondary thread haha.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure how apt the comparisons are between Williams and anyone other than Shields. Shields is now this team's one on one shutdown guy, not Williams. Beyond that though, maybe the comparison with House works a little, but not with Hayward or Hyde. Those guys are too slow to play outside the way Williams can while Williams can sometimes play inside.

It should also be clear that you have no idea how many times a guy doesn't get thrown at because of good coverage. People wanting Williams benched may be singing a different tune if House/Hayward/Hyde were getting lit up on the guy Williams was covering in any given game.

All that said, no way he makes the team next year with his current contract. He's been made replaceable by Shields' play, not necessarily by being a lousy player. The #1 guy should get #1 money, but even if Williams is still the #2, he can't be making #1 money.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Unconventional Stud: Never having to watch the Packers play in that God-awful dome again. (BTW, how difficult will it be for them to pipe in sound for the next two years in an open-air stadium?)

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To say Williams is the new Finley is crazy. Williams hasn't shown up for 2 years. He is constantly getting burned, or alligator arming people, or tripping them. He stood there last night and watched GJ run right past him and not even cover or attempt. Watch the game - he is a HUGE liability. If Ponder has any sense or vision, Williams would've been burned 5 to 6 times.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm mixed on Tramon. He had a magical 2010 and got paid because of it. He's had some injuries since and has never been the same. My hope is that he renegotiates and stays on for a few more seasons. He still plays well despite what some think.

A DUD play that I did see was Nate Palmer on the TD run by AP. Peterson was heading towards the A-gap when he saw Palmer crashing down the line and Hawk unblocked and straight ahead. AP made a hard cut to his right, spooning his offensive guard, and instead of diving at his legs from behind, Palmer ran into the offensive lineman and fell down. AP then cut through the line and bullied his way through Hawk and Burnett. Palmer did the defensive version of the butt fumble. Also, the reason that AP had a cut available to the left was that Phil Loadholdt grabbed Raji from behind and pulled him backwards and away from the gap.

I didn't see it mentioned yet, but that phantom holding penalty on Barclay (maybe Bahktiari) was as bad as the PI on Williams. We overcame the holding call but is wasn't necessary.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dhante Jones hasn't made much of an impact for the Packers yet because he's a basketball player. Datone Jones though...

But seriously, Patterson looks like he may be a great playmaker on offense some day and already is pretty amazing on special teams. You read about his numbers and you assume he's a lot smaller than he is, but he's a big dude. Didn't do much on offense though and may end up being another Hester type guy who can't ever get the ball on offense if he doesn't get coached up properly. And lets wait and see on Datone Jones. He's been getting a much better rush the last few weeks and in the long run we may be really happy with the pick. Only time will tell.

People complaining about Datone Jones need to put a sock in it. He's playing on a deep unit, he's raw, and he's made his share of splash plays. He'll be a good one for us down the line.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People complaining about Datone Jones need to put a sock in it. He's playing on a deep unit, he's raw, and he's made his share of splash plays. He'll be a good one for us down the line.

He's mainly used in pass rushing situations right now and that unit on the dline isn't very deep actually. Against the Vikings, Jones rushed the QB 22 times. Raji rushed the QB 9 times. Don't take this to mean I think he's a disappointment, I don't. Rookie dlinemen take time to develop. However, it appears as though his playing time is increasing (at least against teams that are forced to pass the ball a lot).

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
......Also, the reason that AP had a cut available to the left was that Phil Loadholdt grabbed Raji from behind and pulled him backwards and away from the gap.

I didn't see it mentioned yet, but that phantom holding penalty on Barclay (maybe Bahktiari) was as bad as the PI on Williams. We overcame the holding call but is wasn't necessary.
I get turned on when you guys are brave enough to mention the HORRIBLE calls the 65-year old zebras make.

Some people like to sit on their high horse and pretend refs calls don't matter. In actuality, they matter a lot.
Anyone replay and slow-mo the first Jordy TD? His arm was HELD .... for about 2 seconds. He still made the catch, but a flag SHOULD have been thrown.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I get turned on when you guys are brave enough to mention the HORRIBLE calls the 65-year old zebras make.

Some people like to sit on their high horse and pretend refs calls don't matter. In actuality, they matter a lot.
Anyone replay and slow-mo the first Jordy TD? His arm was HELD .... for about 2 seconds. He still made the catch, but a flag SHOULD have been thrown.
And on the 2-15 when Rhodes was called for PI, your man Bahktari had his arm wrapped around Jared Allens necks and rode him to the ground. They miss some calls as well.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And on the 2-15 when Rhodes was called for PI, your man Bahktari had his arm wrapped around Jared Allens necks and rode him to the ground. They miss some calls as well.
This is true.... I remember that one. How the zebra, who HAS to be watching the edge rushers, LET that one go is beyond me.

Think about refs vs commercial pilots.
Pilot might be fantastic, and healthy, but when they hit, what, 60, they are forced to retire... why?

But the typical NFL zebra looks older than that. Why?
Except lasik surgery, all our eyes get worse with time, as does our endurance, speed, etc.
Why are pilots forced to retire at 60 and then become NFL refs?

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
This is true.... I remember that one. How the zebra, who HAS to be watching the edge rushers, LET that one go is beyond me.

Think about refs vs commercial pilots.
Pilot might be fantastic, and healthy, but when they hit, what, 60, they are forced to retire... why?

But the typical NFL zebra looks older than that. Why?
Except lasik surgery, all our eyes get worse with time, as does our endurance, speed, etc.
Why are pilots forced to retire at 60 and then become NFL refs?
Actually pilots now have to 65. And the reason for forced retirement at that age(60)...................well it was an arbitrary age set by the FAA years ago. There was and never has been a study as to pilots skills deteriorating at that age. Some pencil pushers in Washington DC picked that age. Nothing more.

Members online

Latest posts